Since we like to keep it fresh around here, we bring you Caprese Beet Salad. Beets are a good source of naturally-occurring nitrates, which help improve blood flow to the brain, and garlic may help stave off some forms of brain cancer, according to research. Not to mention that this colorful salad is sure to wow at your next dinner party!
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound red beets (about 5 medium)
- 1 pound golden beets (about 5 medium)
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 shallot
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil and place in oven in a roasting pan. Roast beets for about 1 hour, until they are knife tender. Let cool. Rub off skins and slice.
- Place garlic and shallot in a blender or food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add basil leaves and vinegar. Pulse again. Slowly add oil, processing until smooth. Add salt. Stack beets, tomato and mozzarella slices. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stan Chamberlain, Crippen’s Country Inn and Restaurant, Blowing Rock, N.C. via Relish.com