Brain Training for Reading Struggles & Dyslexia
Cognitive Skills Training for Reading Comprehension Struggles
Auditory processing is the cognitive skill the brain uses to hear, segment, and blend sounds—and it is foundational to successful reading. In fact, studies show that weak auditory processing skills are at the root of approximately 85% of all reading struggles. This is why interventions that use cognitive training techniques to target and strengthen auditory processing and other cognitive abilities get such tremendous results.
LearningRx® one-on-one brain training is a form of cognitive training that puts clients with their own brain trainers for challenging (but fun!) mental workouts consisting of game-like mental exercises. Children work with their trainers about an hour a day, with programs typically running between 12 and 32 weeks. In some cases, improvement in cognitive performance can be dramatic.
Our Reading Struggles & Dyslexia Experience
Over a six-year period, 2,112 children and adults came to LearningRx with dyslexia and/or reading struggles. We measured the cognitive performance of these clients before brain training, and again after brain training, paying special attention to the cognitive skills associated with auditory processing.
Here’s what we learned:
- Among 2,112 clients who came to us with reading struggles and/or dyslexia, the largest gains after LearningRx brain training were seen in auditory processing, IQ score, long-term memory, and broad attention.
- Among these same 2,112 clients, auditory processing skills improved an average of 27 score points following brain training.
- After just six months of training, age-equivalent cognitive skill performance improved an average of 5.3 years.
- IQ scores improved by an average of 13 standard points after LearningRx brain training.
Here’s what these improvements look like on a graph:
*These are the results of past clients. You may or may not achieve similar results.
Angie, a mom of three LearningRx graduates, summarizes their brain training experience and improvements in reading this way: “Tutoring only gets you so far and I feel like LearningRx really unlocks kids’ potential to be the best that they can be.”
Additional Gains Experienced by Families of Dyslexia Clients
To further measure the impact of brain training on real life, LearningRx surveyed parents of 109 kids with dyslexia who completed one of our programs. The experiences of individual clients can vary, but the consistency of reported improvements is worth sharing:
- Many parents reported classroom improvements such as faster reading, improved reading comprehension, and stronger memory for details.
- Almost half of the parents reported better grades after completing brain training, and more than half reported increased confidence in school.
- Parents also reported more positive relationships with peers, more independence in completing homework, and increased participation and better performance in sports.
Schedule Your Brain Skills Assessment Today
If you are ready to work on your reading comprehension with the help of our cognitive skill training sessions, reach out to our team to schedule your Brain Skills Assessment at our LearningRx center. The Assessment takes about an hour to complete, is reasonably priced, and will give you insight into your cognitive strengths and weaknesses and allow us to determine the best path moving forward.
For over 35 years, we have been dedicated to improving and enhancing our cognitive enhancement programs. Discover a world of difference with the help of our brain trainers. Contact us today at (866) 742-3888!