LearningRx - Short Hills Explains Cognitive Skills
Results-Producing Brain Training Center in Short Hills
Cognitive skills are an integral part of learning, reading, memorizing, and performing, and they work together to take incoming information and move it into a bank of knowledge that you use throughout your everyday life—and especially in school or at work. At LearningRx, we offer cognitive skills training that strengthens the underlying skills required for optimum learning and performance. If even one of your skills is weak, the rest of them can be affected. Most learning struggles are caused by one or more weak cognitive skills.
At LearningRx, we pair clients up with one of our brain trainers for individualized programs that consist of game-like mental exercises that are both fun and challenging. Our brain training center in Short Hills offers cognitive skills training that is the result of over 35 years of research, development, testing, and refinement. We are proud to have helped clients with attention struggles and ADHD, reading struggles and dyslexia, memory decline, autism spectrum, traumatic brain injury, and so much more.
Here’s a brief description of each of your cognitive skills, as well as struggles you may be experiencing if that skill is weak:
- What it does: Enables you to stay focused and on task for a sustained period of time.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Lots of unfinished projects, jumping from task to task.
- What it does: Enables you to stay focused and on task despite distractions.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Easily distracted.
- What it does: Enables you to remember information while doing two things at once.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Difficulty multitasking, frequent mistakes.
- What it does: Enables you to recall information stored in the past.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Forgetting names, doing poorly on tests, forgetting things you used to know.
- What it does: Enables you to hang on to information while in the process of using it.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Having to read the directions again in the middle of a project, difficulty following multi-step directions, forgetting what was just said in a conversation.
Logic & Reasoning
- What it does: Enables you to reason, form ideas, and solve problems.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Frequently asking, “What do I do next?” or saying, “I don’t get this,” struggling with math, feeling stuck or overwhelmed.
- What it does: Enables you to analyze, blend, and segment sounds.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Struggling with learning to read, reading fluency, or reading comprehension.
- What it does: Enables you to think in visual images.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Difficulties understanding what you’ve just read, remembering what you’ve read, following directions, reading maps, doing word math problems.
- What it does: Enables you to perform tasks quickly and accurately.
- Common problems when this skill is weak: Most tasks are more difficult. Taking a long time to complete tasks for school or work, frequently being the last one in a group to finish something.
Get Insight into Your Brain
Are you interested in learning more about your specific cognitive strengths and weaknesses? Our Brain Skills Assessment will give you vast insight into your cognitive abilities and reveal the reasons behind some of your learning and performance struggles. Schedule your Assessment at our Short Hills brain training center and start turning your struggles into strengths!