Military families often go through major challenges that our non-military counterparts don’t. There are the frequent moves (sometimes in the middle of the school year), the long separations, living far away from extended family and, of course, the constant worries associated with deployments to war zones.
That’s why acknowledgements of service (both to soldiers and their family members) are always appreciated. It could be a yellow ribbon around a tree, a bumper sticker saying, “I support our troops!” or a simple “Thank you” to the spouse of someone serving abroad. No one joins the military just for the pat on the back, but the recognition is always welcome!
Another much appreciated gesture is when businesses offer discounts for active duty military, veterans and their family members. Although establishments across the country tend to offer some discount on Veterans Day, Memorial Day or Armed Forces Day, there are some businesses that offer year-round discounts to active duty soldiers, retired military members and/or their family members. Here are 50 that you may not know about.
- Sears (5-20% off): Sears offers 20% off regular price merchandise and an additional 5% off sales prices throughout the tools/hardware and lawn & garden departments, excluding grills and patio furniture and décor. Sears also offers 7% off all automotive services and products.
Yankee Candle (10% off): Yankee candle offers 10% off in all retail stores, outlets
- LearningRx (varies by location): Although each center is its own franchise, some brain training centers will give active duty and retired military and their family members a discounted cognitive skills assessment just for asking and showing ID.
- Massage Envy ($60/year): All active-duty military who join get $60 off a year.
- Bass Pro Shops (10%): For one week beginning the 15th of each month, active duty and retired military members receive a 10% discount.
- Chick-fil-A (10%): Many locations offer 10% off.
- Cinemark (varies): Most offer military discounts.
- 24-Hour Fitness (no initiation fee; pay only first and last months’ dues): Active duty military pay no initiation fee and only pay first and last months’ dues in order to open a membership.
- Cabela’s (5%): Cabela’s Legendary Salute offers a 5% discount to active and retired military, active reservists and VA recipients.
- Penske Truck Rentals (up to 20%): Get up to 20% off on military relocation packages. Penske will match any price.
- Dairy Queen (up to 50%): The amount varies by location, but some give up to 50% off for soldiers in uniform.
- Red Lion Hotels (15%): Active-duty and retired military personnel and their families receive 15% off the best available rates.
- Sally Beauty Supply (free membership card): Show a military ID and get a free Beauty Club membership card, which gives you member pricing on non-sale items and 15% off future purchases.
- Jellystone Parks (up to 20%): Active duty and retired military families get discounts of 5-20% camping.
- Buffalo Wild Wings (10%): Many franchise locations give 10% with military ID.
- Sports Clips (10%): Active duty and veterans get 10% off.
- Sandals Vacations (10%): Military members receive 10% off the purchase of all-inclusive vacations.
- Red Roof Inn (10%): Active duty and retired military receive 10% off room rates.
- Aeropostale (10%): Get 10% off in any store.
- Lonestar Steakhouse & Saloon (10-20%): All veterans and active duty get 20$ off on Mondays and 10% off on other days.
- Zales Diamond Store (10%): Military receive 10% off any item that is not already discounted.
- Gold’s Gym (20%): Veterans and military receive 20% off monthly dues and discounted enrollment rates.
- PODS (5-10%): Discounts vary by location and distance of move.
- Outback Steakhouse (10%): Some locations offer 10% year round and some only offer 10% off periodically.
- Park Ride Fly USA (Buy 3, 1 Free): Book three days and get one day free for veterans, Armed Forces personnel and their families.
- Amtrak (10%): Active duty personnel and their families save 10% off regular fares.
- Jiffy Lube (up to 15%): Most locations offer up to 15% off to military members.
- Motel 6 (10%): All active and retired military personnel and their families receive 10% off.
- Kohl’s (15%): Some locations offer 15% off.
- Hickory Farms (free shipping): Free shipping for gifts sent to APO and FPO addresses.
- Pep Boys (10%): Active-duty and retired military receive 10% off.
- Shoney’s (15%) All military in uniform receive 15% off.
- Hyatt Hotels (up to 50%): Active duty military members receive up to 50% off room rates and 20% off food purchases.
- Old Navy (10%): Get 10% off on the first Monday of every month.
- Wilson’s Leather (10%): Military personnel and spouses get 10% off clothes, accessories and other merchandise.
- Best Buy (10%) Most stores give 10% off. Some give 50% off Geek Squad services.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines (10%): Military, veterans and family members get 10% off select cruises.
- Microsoft 365 (up to 30%): Military personnel save up to 30% off.
- Home Depot (10%): Active duty, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families get 10% off up to $500 max.
- Lowes (10%): Active duty, retired veterans and VA recipients receive 10% off.
- Overstock (free Club O membership): Military personnel with a valid .mil email address or active, retired or reserve military get a free Club O membership, which gives you 5% reward dollars and free shipping.
- Hard Rock Café (15%): Present a valid military ID to get 15% off all food, non-alcoholic beverages and retail purchases.
- KOA Campgrounds (5-15%): Most campgrounds offer 5-15% off.
- Helzberg Diamonds (10%): Most locations give 10% off to active duty.
- Greyhound (10%): Active duty and retired get 10% off.
- Man Crates Care Packages (10%): Military families save 10% off.
- Howard Johnson’s (10%): Rate depends on availability.
- Tough Mudder Events ($10 rebate) Active and veteran members of the military receive $10 rebate off the registration.
- Burger King (10%): Some locations offer 10%.
- Gap (10%): Get 10% off on the first Monday of every month.
A few caveats: Be prepared to show a valid form of proof—either a military ID or DD214. Not all branches of an establishment may choose to participate in these discounts, especially in the case of individually owned franchises. Some items are excluded. Some military discounts can‘t be combined with other promotions, so be sure to ask in advance.
Do you have more to add to this list? Post your comments below.