Today is National Walk to School Day! #WalkToSchoolDay
Organized by the Partnership for a Walkable America, National Walk to School day in the United States began in 1997 to build awareness for the need for walkable communities. Each year, on the first Wednesday of October, we celebrate this day to raise awareness and support for the health, community, and environmental benefits of regularly walking (or biking) to school.
What exactly are the physical benefits of walking?
In addition to the mental, social, and emotional benefits, walking:
1. increases cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness
2. reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
3. improves the management of conditions, such as high cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), and joint and muscular pain and stiffness
4. reduces body fat
5. increases muscle strength and endurance
6. strengthens bones and improves balance.
To learn more bout National Walk to School Day, visit http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/.