10 Ways to Support Teachers
This year, American Education Week is November 15-19 and each day has its own theme:
Monday, November 15: Kickoff Day
Tuesday, November 16: Family Day
Wednesday, November 17: Education Support Professionals Day
Thursday, November 18: Educator for a Day
Friday, November 19: Substitute Educators Day
How can you get involved in supporting and advocating for teachers?
1. Elect candidates for office who support educators, students, and public schools.
2. Volunteer in the classroom or to assist with projects (e.g., cutting out materials) at home.
3. Register as a substitute teacher.
4. Advocate for smart, just policies and funding.
5. Read newsletters from your student's school and/or the district.
6. Join the National Education Association ($25/year) as a Community Ally and participate in NEA activities that build support for the organization's work.
7. Sign petitions that support teachers and school support staff.
8. Donate supplies to your student's classroom.
9. Volunteer as a chaperone for class outings, dances, and other events.
10. Give teachers gift cards for school supplies, groceries, gas, meals, or even coffee. (The National Center for Education Statistics reports that about 20% of teachers hold a second job during the school year!)
To learn more, visit https://www.nea.org/resource-library/american-education-week-november-15-19-2021