Spinach Recipes for Brain Health
July 16 is Fresh Spinach Day so we decided to do a little digging into the brain benefits of the leafy green. Here's what we found (as well as links to some delicious recipes!):
1. Spinach is high in the B vitamin folate, which has been shown to reduce levels of homocysteine. Homocysteine is a compound that can be toxic to neurons.
2. Spinch is rich in iron, calcium and vitamins E and K. Research has shown that these nutrients help protect the brain by fending off dementia in older adults.
3. Eaten regularly, spinach and other leafy greens (and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli) have been reported to keep your brain 7.5 years younger.
4. Eaten as part of a healthy diet, spinach and other leafy greens (and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli) have been reported to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's by 53%!
Now for the tasty stuff!
• Spinach smoothie
• Wilted Spinach and Bok Choy with Grapefruit and Sesame
• Garlic Sauteed Spinach
• Spinach Casserole
• Cheesy Spinach Quiche