Brain Training FAQs
Providing Answers to Your Brain Training Inquiries
Deciding on brain training and cognitive enhancement for you or a loved one is a big decision. There are many factors involved in improving learning and comprehension skills. Though LearningRx does not diagnose or cure any conditions, over 35 years of research and development has allowed us to gain deep insight into brain training and create programs that can target a variety of problems and help enhance the lives of our clients. It’s never too late to take action and work toward enhancing weak cognitive skills.
We understand that you have many questions, so we’ve compiled a list of the most commonly asked questions and provided answers to each below. Feel free to read through them, and if you still have some lingering questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to us today.
How is LearningRx brain training different from online brain training games?
The difference is in our unique personal trainer approach. The face-to-face nature of the training relationship allows LearningRx brain trainers to do three critical things:
- Focus on results by customizing each training session and encouraging clients to work past their comfort levels.
- Focus on attitude by challenging clients to recognize and pursue their potential, learning to see failure not as something to be avoided at all costs, but as a temporary stepping stone to greater success.
- Focus on confidence by encouraging struggling children and adults to engage, embrace challenges, recognize improvements, and celebrate gains.
Is brain training similar to tutoring?
Not at all. While both are effective, brain training and tutoring are actually different solutions to different problems.
From kindergarten through grad school, clients typically struggle because of one of two problems:
- New information wasn’t grasped because it was presented poorly (or missed entirely)
- Weak cognitive skills are making it hard to grasp new information (even when it is presented well)
Tutoring works on the first problem; LearningRx brain training works on the second.
There are definitely times to hire a tutor. For example, if your child didn’t learn classroom content because he or she was home with the flu, because a teacher on maternity leave was replaced by a string of substitutes, or because construction workers were operating jackhammers on school grounds, hire a tutor. In other words, if identifiable circumstances have interfered with the delivery of information to your child, hiring someone to redeliver that information makes sense.
There are also times to hire a one-on-one brain trainer. For example, if your child is struggling in school in general—struggling in more than one class or struggling over the course of several school years— help from a brain trainer can make a real difference. This is because brain training targets the cognitive weaknesses that are keeping your child from repeatedly grasping new information when it’s presented in class.
Is brain training just for students?
Not at all. Because cognitive weaknesses are not necessarily strengthened by time, children who struggle with reading, learning, reasoning, remembering, or paying attention often grow into adults with the same struggles. Many of our clients are, in fact, adults of all ages and stages of life, from the college-bound to career builders to seniors.
How do I get started?
There are two steps to getting started:
- Take our free brain quiz. It only takes about three minutes and will allow you to see how your brain skills are performing compared to those of your peers. Once you’re finished, you’ll get a basic idea of where you are experiencing challenges and what skills may need to be strengthened to experience change.
- After you are finished with our free brain quiz, schedule a Brain Skills Assessment with our brain trainers. This takes about an hour to complete and is reasonably priced for the insight it provides. This Brain Skills Assessment will pinpoint specific weaknesses and offer a detailed understanding of the “why” behind struggles you or your child have been experiencing for a period of time. This will give our team (and you) a good idea of the appropriate next step to take.
LearningRx is ready to help you achieve more. Contact our brain trainers today at (866) 742-3888!